Expenses for Living and Education

Considering the expenses associated with living and studying in Australia is a key element in setting yourself up for success. Familiarizing yourself with the average living costs in Australia plays a vital role in your financial preparation.

Curious about effective expense management in Australia? Here's a list of estimates to assist you!

While studying abroad can be a costly endeavor, strategic budget planning allows you to gain control of your finances. Before embarking on your journey from your home country, it is essential to take into account various expenses such as accommodation, food, health coverage, and travel, in addition to tuition fees, when estimating the overall cost of studying in Australia. This proactive approach will enable you to plan your budget more efficiently.

Your primary expense is the tuition fee

The expense of studying in Australia varies based on the type of qualification and the chosen university or school. For example, veterinary and medical degrees are considerably more expensive than other degrees. The typical tuition fees at Australian tertiary institutions typically fall within the range of AUD 20,000 to AUD 30,000 per year.

S.no. Australia Study Program Average fees in AUD*
1. School $7,800 to $30,000 annually
2. English language studies $350-450 weekly (varies as per course length)
3. Vocational Education and Training (Certificates I to IV, Diploma and Advanced Diploma) $4000 - $22,000 annually
4. Undergraduate Bachelor’s degree $15,000 - $35,000 annually
5. Postgraduate Master’s Degree $20,000 - $42,000 annually
6. Doctoral Degree $20,000 - $42,000 annually (attractive scholarships up to 100% available with living grants on meeting the university requirements)

*Please note all figures are indicative

Most commonly, courses in humanities, arts, and education are a little cheaper, while subjects such as medicine and engineering are likely to be more expensive. If you wish to study at a postgraduate level, the tuition fee is typically higher, and the cost of studying in Australia vary depending on the program

Where will you live? Calculate accommodation costs

Most universities in Australia offer on-campus residence facilities to international students. You can also opt for off-campus accommodation wherein you can share apartments with other students from your home country or stay with a local Australian family. The rent is usually paid every two weeks in advance. Remember, the rentals vary from city to city.

Accommodation type expenses (Indicative)
Hostels and Guesthouses $90 to $150 per week
Shared Rental $95 to $215 per week
On-campus $110 to $280 per week
Homestay $235 to $325 per week
Rental $185 to $440 per week
Boarding schools $11,000 to $22,000 a year

Cost of your student visa

To study in Australia, the first step is to secure a valid student visa that comes with its own costs (approx. AUD 606). Feel free to consult your counsellor for latest updates and information on the visa application process and related costs.

Living expenses

You need to keep a little money aside for your grocery shopping, social activities, and emergencies. When living in a foreign country as a student, it is better to keep track of your expenditures so that you do not overspend. According to the Australian Government, general living expenses amount to $21,041 per year. An international student spends between $20,000 and $27,000 per year (given your living arrangements and personal choices). 

You should also consider these common expenses when creating your budget:

Living expenses Weekly budget (indicative)
Groceries and eating out $140 to $280 per week
Gas, electricity $10 to $20 per week
Phone and Internet $15 to $30 per week
Public transport $30 to $60 per week
Car (after purchase) $150 to $260 per week
Entertainment $80 to $150 per week

Transportation. Know how much it will cost to move around

Unless your institution provides a shuttle service to-and-fro from your lodging, you’ll have to rely on the available public transport. 

For short distances You can make use of regional trains, buses, and trams. A short ride on a bus or train can cost you around AUD 3. You can get a weekly pass upwards of AUD 20 or a monthly pass for AUD 80. Student discounts are easily available in all states and territories apart from Victoria.
For long distances

For travelling between different cities, you can avail any of the following options:

Long-distance bus



Scholarships to study in Australia

Here are some popular scholarship programs you can apply to study in Australia as an International student:

S.No. Name of the scholarships Description
1 Australian Government Research and Training Program (AGRTP)

Funded by the Australian Government, it covers a student’s tuition fee and health insurance for up to three years

Supports a student’s (local and international) Research Doctorate and Research Master’s degree

2 Australia Awards

Funded by the Department of Education and the Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR) and the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFAT)

Aims to provide students from developing regions an opportunity to pursue their UG/PG program at participating universities in Australia and Technical and Further Education (TAFE) institutions

3 Destination Australia This scholarship aims to encourage international students to study in regional Australia to regionally develop tertiary education providers in Australia and provide a learning experience to its students
4 John Allwright Fellowship (JAF) Provides scientists from partner countries engaged in the Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR) research projects with the opportunity to obtain postgraduate qualifications at Australian tertiary institutions

 *This is an indicative list, speak with our expert for details and the best available options suited to your profile

Remember, the exchange rate variations may also affect your budgeting. We suggest you also look for a part-time job while you are studying in Australia or seek scholarships in the universities you apply to. This can help lower your cost of studying abroad to a great extent. 

Don’t know what to do? Get free expert Guidance! Contact Us Today.


The Think Europe Services website is owned and operated by Think Europe Services Sp. z. o. o., a private international company operating independently from the Polish government. Please note that the information on this website is not intended as professional or legal advice. We make every effort to maintain the accuracy of the content, but it's important to be aware that certain terms, like immigration eligibility criteria, may be subject to change without prior notification. ..see more

In reference to our Job Search Service, we specialize in Resume Crafting, LinkedIn Enhancement, and Resume Promotion. It's crucial to emphasize that we do not promote job opportunities on behalf of international employers or serve as agents for any foreign companies. Our Registration number is KRS 0001007806, our tax identification number is NIP 9512557041, and all our services are exclusively offered at our Registered Center.

Please bear in mind that the content provided here is meant solely for informational purposes and should not be regarded as legal or tax guidance. It is recommended that you seek advice from your own legal and/or tax consultant(s). We do not offer legal or tax advice, and the information we present is of a general nature, not customized for any particular company or workforce. Moreover, it does not represent how we operate in a specific jurisdiction. We do not assume responsibility for the accuracy or timeliness of this information, and we are not liable for any losses that may occur as a result of using or relying on it.